John also quietly encouraged me on several occasions with the Jol Jcl Enhancement project.

Thank you John, and peace be with you.

Clem Clarke
www.Oscar-Jol.com

Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
Am 23.02.2018 um 03:47 schrieb John Melcher, Jr:
Many years ago I was crying in my beer at GUIDE about the sorry state of
ASMH and John said "I think IBM management would go along if you can
demonstrate some interest"

This must have been about the same time when we complained at IBM about some bugs in ASSEMBLER (may be ASMH) and got the answer "customer should not use
ASSEMBLER" :-)

Seriously: I only had some email conversation once with Dr. John Ehrman, must have been some years ago, but I was very impressed. He encouraged me (offline) to go on in my argumentation and supported my point of view (could have been some debate in this or in another mailing list), which made me feel VERY good. By this single opportunity, I got a strong feeling what a great and warm hearted person he was. Although I didn't meet him personally,
I will miss him, too. Condolences to his family and friends.

Bernd Oppolzer, Stuttgart, Germany

The GUIDE "Assembler Indignation" project was born.  Nobody believed that
there was interest in a new assembler except the two of us. The thing I
most remember about that time was saying "Hold on while I get us a bigger
room"  350 people showed up for the announcement of the High Level
Assembler.
The High Level Assembler saved the company I worked for a lot of time and
improved code quality.
Later when the binder was new John helped explain my assembler programs
demonstrating binder bugs to the folks that only spoke PL/S.
SPASM <http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/downloads/pdf/spasmug.pdf> was
another of John's assemblers, before he worked for IBM.
In all his helpfulness and good humor will be missed.

John Melcher, Jr.