On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> Only in 24-bit mode.
>
> If you do a macro, make it mode and architecture sensitive. I used to do
> something similar for code that could be assembler either for S/360 or for
> S/370; the macros only used, e.g., ICM, if they were assembling the 370
> version..

​Just tapping in here, perhaps incorrectly. I would _strongly_ suggest that
any HLASM code being written today use the SYSSTATE macro to specify it's
"environment" requirements. Ref:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ieaa900/state.htm

And any macros should use the macro variables set by that macro for their
internal processing. E.g. what AMODE to assume for instructions; whether to
use "base+index" or "relative" instructions; and so forth.

What got me onto this is that the default ARCHLVL=0 causes the other IBM
macros to use the "Branch On Condition" instruction instead of the "Branch
On Condition Relative" instruction. Yeah, that's probably well known, but
it messed me up until I read the above to try to understand why the IBM
macros didn't do what I was wanting. ​

--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown