I have poked around in Gmail settings and haven't found anything about line
length or wrapping.

Personally, I think any program that automatically inserts hard returns in
text should be taken out and shot.  Many, maybe most messages I read on my
phone are completely fracked up.  I suspect there are still people who
haven't yet stopped inserting "carriage returns" because they learned to
type on an ancient machine that required them.  But I'm pretty sure most of
it is done programmatically.

sas

--
sas