From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu> on behalf
of Paul Gilmartin <00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 3:33 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu
Subject: Re: Testing

On 2018-07-23, at 12:38:59, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>> How does format=flowed represent SP CR LF occurring in the unencoded text?
>
> SP SP CR LF.

That seems to be a space followed by a soft break.  How about a space
followed by a hard break?  SP ZWSP CR LF (bletch!)?

>> How does it distinguish between a quoted line and an unquoted line
>> beginning with ">"?
>
> I'm having trouble parsing the relevant parts of RFC 3767, i.e., what is an
> "unquoted line"?

I was being casual.  A perverse C programmer (or a program generating C code as
output might code "if ( 3 > 2 ) ..." as "if ( 3
> 2 ) ...", not intending the ">" to indicate quoted text.  I've done something
similar with HTML tags -- putting a line break within a tag to accommodate
record
length limits.  White space, both linear and vertical is ignored within tags.

> On 2018-07-23, at 09:30:30, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>
>> Okay, let me cover some basics.
>>
>> An e-mail messages is a sequences of lines terminated in CRLF; the client
>> and server software is permitted to replace the two terminating characters
>> with whatever is appropriate for the OS.
>>
> And, I'll note that z/OS and VM convert ASCII<==>EBCDIC without suitably
> adjusting charset=.
>
>> A MIME part with QP (bletch!) encoding uses =CRLF for a soft break; that is,
>> it does not represent CRLF in the unencoded text. A CRLF not preceded by an
>> equal sign is a soft break; it represents a CRLF in the unencoded text.
>>                                        ^^^^
>                                          hard?
>
>> A message with format=flowed in the Content-Transfer-Encoding header field
>> uses SP CR LF for a soft break and a CRLF not preceded by a space for a hard
>> break.
>>
> How does format=flowed represent SP CR LF occurring in the unencoded text?
> How does it distinguish between a quoted line and an unquoted line
> beginning with ">"?
>
>> Note that the last two cases are both MIME.

-- gil