To avoid the problem Dan illustrates but retain the advantages Charles cites of not labeling specific instructions, we use

label      DS      0H      instead of               label EQU   *

But i think some of the point of the original post was lost, since the question was whether

label   EQU    *

was ever beneficial, where the "*" indicates current location rather than meaning generically any value.

On 2018-08-01 2:23 PM, Dan Greiner wrote:
I too disagree (rather strongly).

As an example, consider where EQU is used to give names to bits of a field in
memory.

FLAGS    DS    X
F_OPEN   EQU X'80'
F_CLOSE  EQU   X'40'
F_FUBAR  EQU   X'20'
         TM    FLAGS,F_FUBAR
          JO    TOTALLY_HOSED

Furthermore, you can assign a "length" to each bit, and use that as an offset
in the field, e.g:

FLAGS    DS    XL4
F_OPEN   EQU   X'80',0
F_CLOSE   EQU   X'40',0
F_FUBAR  EQU   X'02',3
          TM    FLAGS+L'F_FUBAR,F_FUBAR

(apologies if the syntax is not precise ... I'm doing this from memory at home).

As to Charles' comment about using EQU as a branch target, I'm a little bit
less comfortable.  If — by chance or accident — there happens to be code before
the EQU that knocks the location off a halfword boundary, this could spell
trouble.  E.g:

          LA     7,ITS_ON
          TM    BYTE,BIT
          BCR   X'01',7
          other instructions
HI_MOM DC    C'Hello'
ITS_ON  EQU   *

Since the constant "Hello" is 5 bytes long, this knocks the label ITS_ON onto
an odd boundary. If the branch had been directly to the location (as opposed to BCR),
HLASM would have flagged an error. But in this case, the error may go undetected until
execution — at which point the hardware will slap you with a PIC-0006 (PIC-0006).

Gary Weinhold Senior Application Architect DATAKINETICS | Data Performance & Optimization
Phone   +1.613.523.5500 x216
Email:  weinh...@dkl.com

Visit us online at www.DKL.com E-mail Notification: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.