From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Steve Smith
Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:07 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: EQU * considered harmful

Yes, DS "skips" bytes for alignment, and those skipped aren't guaranteed to
be anything.  But why would you care?

In any case, plain DC 0H (or any other unit) has been supported for a long
time, if not from the beginning of HLASM.  I don't care what's in padding,
but DC does pad with 00 text, and more usefully, prints the padding.  I
often want to eliminate alignment gaps.  Also, for those who care, it
doesn't break up text generation in the object deck.