I must fall back on "I know very little about Intel architecture".  They do
have different modes, which are actually more involved than just
addressing.  I get the impression some of the older ones have been
abandoned.

They have far less assembler code to worry about carrying forward.
Regardless, I doubt they support backwards compatibility nearly as well as
MVS and family.

My point is that XA took away 7 bits that were used for various purposes.
Taking all 8 wouldn't have been a lot more painful.

sas

--
sas