From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Schmitt, Michael [michael.schm...@dxc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 1:17 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS HLASM: EQU for statement labels

On 2020-06-02, at 10:32:23, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>         if x
>            if y
>               do a
> foo         endif
> bar      else
>           do b
>         endif
>
>> Then later if you want to insert more instructions immediately before the
>> ELSE, it is very clear where to put them and none of the labels change.
>
>         if x
>            if y
>               do a
> foo         endif
>            xc    baz,baz
> bar      else
>           do b
>         endif

Gasp!  There are obsessive advocates of GOTO-less coding;
there are staunch defenders of GOTO.  The above appears to
invite the worst of both practices.  Throw in a SIGNAL
for good measure.

(But I admire Rexx for labelled END, ITERATE, and LEAVE,
and I wish for long-ITERATE and long-LEAVE.)

Sorry, I was using pseudocode to illustrate a logical structure before coding
it _in z/Architecture assembler_, where you have to use labels for your branch
points.  And it may have been a poorly contrived example because there would be
a jump or branch between the two labels. Perhaps a better example is where
there is an IF ... ENDIF immediately proceeding a DO ... WHILE, so that the
ENDIF is at the same address as the start of the DO loop.

DXC Technology Company - Headquarters: 1775 Tysons Boulevard, Tysons, Virginia
22102, USA.
DXC Technology Company -- This message is transmitted to you by or on behalf of
DXC Technology Company or one of its affiliates.  It is intended exclusively
for the addressee.  The substance of this message, along with any attachments,
may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information or information
that is otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or
disseminate any part of this message. If you have received this message in
error, please destroy and delete all copies and notify the sender by return
e-mail. Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind DXC
Technology Company or any of its affiliates to any order or other contract
unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative
expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose. --.