The ASCII feature of S/360 probably wasn't used because it's nearly
useless.  Turning on ASCII mode caused PACK & CVD to generate ASCII sign
codes and UNPK to generate ASCII zone codes.  As far as I can tell, that's
it.  I'd say that the much later PKA & UNPKA instructions make a lot more
sense than a system option, so I suppose somebody thinks the function is
useful.  But you could always convert zoned decimal with NC/OC or, of
course TR.

ED isn't in my very old S/360 PoOp (A22-6821-0), but ED certainly came out
soon, long before the ASCII bit was officially dropped.  Anyway, I don't
know whether it supported ASCII mode or not.

sas