Steve Smith wrote:
>And there are other bizarre ways to return without
>restoring R14, which is not actually required by documented conventions.

Only restoring of AR14 and the high half of R14 are required (for
non-AMODE 64 cases), in general.
(Although I would guess that there are many violations of preserving the
high half of R14).
Some interfaces might define that they preserve R14 completely. Most do
not.

Mark Hammack wrote
>I have a macro that switches between a regular (24/31 bit style)
>save area and an extended (64 bit "F4SA") save area.

What do you mean by "switches between"? It is fine to use a different
style than the style your caller was using (as long as the savearea
provided is big enough to accommodate your needs), without having any care
about what was being used by your caller. The string at +4 identifies how
you saved your caller's registers.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design