Also remember that COBOL, like any compiled or interpreted language, can
define fields and operations on those fields that require an assembler
subroutine to implement.  I also understand that more recent versions of
the IBM z/OS COBOL compiler use decimal floating point to implement
decimal arithmetic.  I don't know about VSE.

On 2022-01-07 2:48 p.m., Dave Clark wrote:
"IBM Mainframe Assembler List"<ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>  wrote on
01/07/2022 02:34:49 PM:
         If it is possible, how do you code in assembler to convert more
than 16 digits of zoned data into a packed field?  I'm presuming, of
course, that a packed field can be longer than 8 bytes in assembler. VSE
COBOL can handle 18 digits, correct?  So, that would be a 10-byte packed
field.  But it seems the assembler PACK instruction can only handle up
16 digits of zoned data.  Am I missing something?

         Hmmm, I guess I found my answer -- at least partially.  I happened
to read about the next instruction in the manual just out of curiosity
(yeah, I'm a nerd who likes to read technical manuals).  So, apparently, I
can pack up to 31 digits into a 16-byte packed field using the PKA
instruction.  However, it looks like I have to handle the sign separately.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark

Gary Weinhold
Senior Application Architect
DATAKINETICS | Data Performance & Optimization
Phone:+1.613.523.5500 x216
Email: weinh...@dkl.com
Visit us online at www.DKL.com
E-mail Notification: The information contained in this email and any
attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other
intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you
notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your
mail system.