From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Dave Clark
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2022 2:03 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Executing a ZAP Instruction

        How do (can?) you EXecute a ZAP instruction?  I have a packed
number in plain character format that can vary in length from 1 to 16
bytes.  I need to move that into a 16-byte formal packed work field in
order to make the variable-length character data into recognizable
packed-decimal data.

        The normal EXecute (ORs but effectively) replaces bits 8 to 15 of
the target instruction with bits 56 to 63 of general register R1.  But a
ZAP instruction has an L1 field in bits 8 to 11 of the instruction and an
L2 field in bits 12 to 15 of the instruction.

        Does that mean ZAP can't be EXecuted?  Do I have to clear and
align my variable-length character data in my 16-byte packed work field
myself?  Or is it feasible to manipulate the content of general register
R1 so that bits 56 to 63 contain the correct L1 and L2 values?

Sincerely,

Dave Clark
--
int.ext: 91078
direct: (937) 531-6378

Winsupply Group Services
3110 Kettering Boulevard
Dayton, Ohio  45439  USA
(937) 294-5331

This email message and any attachments is for use only by the named
addressee(s) and may contain confidential, privileged and/or proprietary
information. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and delete and destroy the message and all
copies. All unauthorized direct or indirect use or disclosure of this
message is strictly prohibited. No right to confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any error in transmission.