If you give themthe tool, the will find a use.
For completeness, and for those who really push th limits, how hard is to
create that data type?ZA

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 11:52 AM, Jonathan Scott<jonathan_sc...@vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:   Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz writes:
> That still leave the question of HLASM syntax for DC. I would
> hope that it's been extended to handle tiny floating point.

This has not been done so far, as the architects said it should
not be needed, as it was not for general programming purposes.

When the architects added the BFP tiny format (that is, the IEEE
754 half-precision binary floating-point format: binary16) we
asked whether this format should defined in Assembler, and we
were told not to bother, as it was primarily for use as a data
format for NNTP input which would normally be generated by a
compiler or obtained from other sources.

If someone submits a requirement showing a strong justification
for making the format available in Assembler, I think that our
existing IEEE floating point conversion routine should already
be able to handle it, so the main things to be resolved would be
what to call the DC type and what type attribute it should have
(given that all upper case letters and some other characters
have already been used).

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK