Consolidated replies below to a couple of your messages Thomas.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Thomas Eckardt <thomas.ecka...@thockar.com>
wrote:

> >an email

>with 11 MB of attachments takes 19 seconds with TLS turned off, and with

>TLS on 662 seconds.

> What if the message SIZE announcement is missing (not sent by google), if

TLS is turned off?

You'll get exactly this behavior.

But both messages are from Google, so I think they either would or wouldn't
send size, and it wouldn't be dependent on SSL. ( I turn TLS on and off for
Google using NoTLS ip ranges which I get from their SPF)

Hurry up! Close all doors and windows - Murphy has left your IT rooms!

He'll be back.  That jerk seems to be able to walk through walls.

The default TCP output buffer for a socket on windows differs from version to
> version.

w2k3 - 8kB

w2K8R2 - 64kB (with some dynamics)

w2k12R2 - not sure, but at least 64kB with default dynamics

SSL - 16kB encrypted data maximum on all OS

I'm running windows 2012r2.  I just noticed that I had TCPBufferSize set to
sslrcv = 0, sslsnd = 0.

Under normal conditions any setting here will be not required. But, if you
notice a bad SSL transmission performance in relation to the speed of plan
TCP sockets, it may help to set both SSL buffer size to the size of the
according system TCP buffer.
like: sslrcv = 0, sslsnd = 0

I removed this setting and tested with 16270 (not the latest) and a slight
improvement.  Again, this is just one test though, I don't know if that
really made a difference or if this one email was just faster. Whatever the
case, this test was better, but still too slow at 550 seconds.

What I wanted to let you know here is that the GUI at least says that the
SSL buffer size is set to 64kB if you put sslrcv = 0, sslsnd = 0 on my
system (which is consistent with what you said would happen, set to max tcp
buffer size for system).  You said that the max for all os is 16kB, so it
seems like ASSP should insure this isn't exceeded.  It might already
internally, but doesn't indicate as such for the green message in the GUI
when changes are applied.  Might just be a display issue vs a functional
one.

We need to start a campaign to have Google send more than 1440 bytes per
SSL frame.  Why would they do that?!?  Any chance that it's something they
have that (seemingly pretty low) limit set just for good old me?   And if
others tend to send a much larger SSL frame, that would explain the speed
disparity between email sources over TLS!

I can't test today's new version right now, but absolutely will ASAP.
Can't disrupt email flow at all during the day, and especially not today as
tempers are recovering from a 2 hour long ISP outage earlier.