Further development on this today, very little.
I have moved both servers onto Ubuntu 16.04 LTS which means going from perl
5.18 to 5.22 and rebuilding all perl modules from scratch.

The admin user db did not work after the upgrade so I had to empty the
tables before it would come back online.

I'm still getting delayed emails and assp shutting down telling me it is unable
to detect any running worker.

If this goes on much longer the MD will pull the plug and we'll end up
moving to a third party solution which is not something I want but if I
can't fix it I can't defend it :/