Cheers for the reply.

I don't think backups are an option seen as I've moved completely from
Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04.

Also, this issue has been around for months. It was causing a handful of
shutdowns a week with the occasional spat of more frequent shutdowns. It is
entirely possible that the errors are behaviour related and nothing to do
with the upgrade and that current email behaviour is triggering it big
style.

I'm not convinced though, unfortunately I'm not convinced of anything else
hence not having much to go on. I can't see any consistencies in the
behaviour leading up to the events.

I don't think it is database related. It happened on one of the mail
servers during the upgrade to 16.04 when ASSP had just started but I had
not yet got into the web interface to replace the corrupted encrypted
strings with the correct values so all database connections were in error.

The problem has already started again this morning so I can see this being
another fun day that either leads to a fix or having to put something else
in place.