On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 08:49:08 AM Thomas Eckardt wrote:
> I configured an assp installation (in /opt/assp) on a fresh gentoo system
> in december 2014 and again january 2015- the system is running fine.

FYI historically opt is for binary and/or optional software. Rarely if ever
will you see
compiled software in /opt on any Linux or Unix based operating system. If you
can
compile it then you should be able to install it per FHS.

> there were three major problems:
>
> 1. the customer had to disable selinux, because 'ulimit -n' was too
> restricted and the init script was asking for the password (he was unable
> to fix this)

I am not running selinux but I am running hardened. It was likely their
unfamiliarity with
selinux, and failure to make changes necessary. Many apps run under selinux,
and
ASSP should be no different there.

> 2. the '--' in the commandline used in the init.d script had to be removed

That makes little sense, as all that does is pass anything after as an argument
to what
ever your starting.

man start-stop-daemon

start-stop-daemon — ensures that daemons start and stop
SYNOPSIS
     start-stop-daemon -S, --start daemon [--] [arguments]

Which on Gentoo is just a file path, not sure that is even need, and stuff to
redirect
stdout/err to a log file.

start-stop-daemon -b -m --start --quiet --startas /usr/share/assp/assp.pl \
                --pidfile /run/assp/asspd.pid -- /var/lib/assp/
                       2<&1 >> /var/log/assp/assp.log

Though I think its missing a \ not sure the 3rd line gets picked up or not. I
think that
stuff is moot now and likely not necessary. Pretty sure I created the init
script for ASSP
on Gentoo. But I cannot recall why arguments are passed to assp.pl. The log
redirection make sense, if its still part of the command, might not be as its
on its own
line without \ on the preceding line.

> 3. the stop routine of the init.d script was changed to wait until the
> assp process was finished (or 50 seconds if not), which can take up to 45
> seconds. Not waiting will destroy the BerkeleyDB's.

I might need to make such modification. I have seen assp not stop, or
start-stop-
daemon report it did not because of the length of time taking to stop.
Sometimes it
would not stop at all I had to kill it. But it seem to be responding better now
with
everything updated. Still likely can't hurt to add a delay to the stop portion
of the init
script.

> I had to run the assp module installer and I had to bring the perl modules
> uptodate via CPAN to get assp running without any mistake on the ebuild
> Perl 5.18.2, after all additionally required software componets were
> installed.

On Gentoo it is VERY bad to install things outside of portage/emerge. Its even
worse to
update system stuff, installed perl modules etc.

If you upgrade to 5.20.1, any module you updated likely will not be updated
properly. I
would bet perl-cleaner to have a hard time with the stuff you installed and
have to do
allot of manual clean up.

Any modules you installed will not be re-installed/recompiled when perl is
updated by
emerge/portage.

> Schedule::Cron is used and is running well for the rebuildspamdb- and the
> restart scheduler.

I will make another post on that.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Obsidian-Studios, Inc.

protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking
of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.