Phil Mickelson wrote:
Hello,

I've written a full answering service application with Asterisk at the
center.  All of my interaction with Asterisk is through ARI.  Thank you
so much for this feature!  Without it I wouldn't have been able to make
this work!

I've just implemented a new Snoop feature.  Without boring you with the
details (unless you want them) I am able to Snoop on an operator
regardless of whether or not they are on an active call.  However, the
only way the Whisper option works is if they are on an actual call.  The
only difference internally is there are two channels connected through a
central bridge.  Otherwise, the operator's channel is the only one in
that bridge.

Since I can hear the operator regardless of the current call situation
I'm assuming there must be code in the Snoop option to mute the operator
if a call is not active?

There is no code to do that. What whispering does require though (for both Chanspy and Snoop channels) is a constant media stream out to the channel. It's likely that in the specific scenario there is nothing generating a stream and thus nothing to whisper into.

There's an open issue[1] to remove this requirement but I know of noone currently working on it.

[1] https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-24397

--
Joshua Colp