On Oct 12, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Bob Goddard wrote:

Asterisk's faxing capabilities are not nearly as advanced, stable, or
easy to set up as HylaFAX. Also, there seem to be many problems with
frame slipping and the like that screw up faxing over Digium cards, and
maybe others as well.

Does Hylafax do software based faxing? As far as I knew, it has always
required a DSP.

Lee would be the guy to ask, seeing as he is involved (deeply involved, I think) in HylaFAX development. AFAIK, HylaFAX does require a DSP, but IAXModem is designed to function as the DSP, thereby allowing HylaFAX to take calls that come in via asterisk without additional hardware (such as a T1 fax-modem, a crossover cable and a multi-port T1 card, as Lee suggested.).

Either way, I was just saying that grabbing a good modem (see HylaFAX
list archives for suggestions - NOT USRobotics!!!) and installing
HylaFAX would be easier, more reliable, and all-in-all, a better
solution than messing with Asterisk's built-in fax capability.

In other words, don't use a soft fax.

No, software vs hardware isn't the point. As Lee mentioned, there are many problems with the hardware side of things, too. What I am asserting is that Asterisk's fax capabilities are an inferior choice to HylaFAX at this time. Maybe in a year or two that will no longer be the case. Also, once Lee has some time to develop IAXModem further, I bet it will be a great option, and it is software based.

Tom