Vedran Dakic ha scritto:

I have been asked by the customer to deilver a big PBX-system based on Asterisk. The requirements are approximately:

- up to 240 lines for making outside calls from the building
- up to 1000 internal phone conversations (within the building)
- scalable up to 300/1500 calls

You mean 240 / 1000 simultaneous calls or 240 outside lines and 1000 internal phones ? In the second case there's no need for a cluster, a good server will do, ( obviously a second server for backup is a good idea ) I'm assuming you can use a/ulaw to transmit the data, if bandwidth is a problem and you must compress cpu usage becomes a boottleneck to keep in mind. I'm having ~80 concurrent calls from iax/sip to pri in alaw from an userbase of ~150 clients and the cpu is around 6% on a dual 2.8 Ghz. 1000 phones are a lot, and sip sometimes is an hassle (mostly nat), I don't know your network topology, but maybe you can consider to connect every group of phones to an asterisk pc and the pcs to the server via iax, which uses a little less bandwidth and most of all works "out of the box". A pentium 400 can handle ~8 calls with ilbc, so every modern pc will do.