On 03/11/03 16:35, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

I'm implementing a Java-based IVR server (and yes, I know Asterisk does
IVR, and no, it's not flexible enough to do what I want and no, it
doesn't integrate well with the Java systems we have, etc. hence my
doing this).

Are you mad? What is not flexable enough for you? Java knows what STDIN and STDOUT is, right? What more do you need?

Not wanting to start a flamewar, but...

  - I can't possibly fork a whole JVM process for each caller. It's much
    too inefficient. This needs to support hundreds of simultaneous
    calls, and the GNU Java compiler just isn't good enough for our
    needs. I guess I could write an AGI wrapper script which connected
    to the Java server over a TCP connection or something and piped the
    stdin/out down the line to it.

  - We'd like to use Java because:
    - Need to do RMI to existing systems. Can't be bothered with all
      the CORBA nonsense.
    - It's more maintainable within our organization.
    - We have lots of existing components to support.
    - It does all the interoperability stuff we need very nicely,
      so we save time once the system is built (XML, etc.).
    - We like it. :)

  - I need access to the raw audio streams in realtime for various
    reasons (need to do DSP stuff for some clients, etc). Can I get this
    easily with AGI? Along with this, I need to be able to play audio
    from a URL. I don't want to have to download the whole file from the
    URL in order to play it - it wants to be streamed. Is this possible
    with AGI? The docs aren't very good for AGI, so I don't really
    know...

  - I need to be able to generate large amounts of audio in realtime,
    conference people together but then only play an audio file to one
    person within the conference, etc. I don't think AGI is flexible
    enough to do this.

  - I'd like to be able to move from Asterisk to something else if I
    need to. This is why originally I was doing things using SIP/RTP.

  - The documentation for AGI is very poor. I know it is for IAX, too,
    but I can see a Java IAX library being useful for client development
    too, and I'd like to give a little back to the * community, you
    know?

There are other reasons, but I haven't the time to explain right now. The above are the most important.

--
Alastair Maw
MX Telecom