I have some customers that come in via SIP on a T1 and then we drop their calls off on a PRI. They can fax with about a 98% success rate using an ATA->SIP over a T1->Ethernet-> Asterisk -> PRI->PSTN. As long as the fax machine can negotiate 9600 baud it will work. We have a customer doing this and there is one place they can not fax and it's because the fax machine at the other end will not negotiate a speed lower than 14400 baud.

-Jonathan

Matt wrote:
Very much so... we actually have a fax machine up here in our NOC running on g711u attached to an ATA, works fine.

       Yes!  This is exactly my experience with it working for a telephony
    service provider that provides wholesale VoIP platform and CPE for
    customers and works primarily over the Internet at large, rather than
    dedicated links.  It kind of works, except when it doesn't.

       But on a LAN environment, in general I think it is quite usable for
    analog call transport as long as the core is gigabit and there's some
    rudimentary QoS.

    -- Alex

    --
    Alex Balashov <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>