NOT true and I have proven that for the last year.

Jonn

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rob Hillis
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 4:13 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 Fax

I'd say "consider yourself very lucky".  I know I did some testing here some
time ago with faxing over VoIP.

*       One extension to another over G711a with both extensions on the same
LAN - worked 95% of the time
*       One extension on my Asterisk server to an Extension on a friend's
Asterisk server using G711a via IAX - 95% failure rate.  Both of us awere on
the same ISP and had ping times of ~40ms between us.

However, in a live environment, I convert a PSTN call to a t.38 encoded call
and can send the fax just about anywhere I damn well want (where the remote end
supports t.38) with a 95% success rate.

t.38 is the key to successful faxing over a VoIP network.  Without it, you're
begging for trouble.

Doug Lytle wrote:

Jonn R Taylor wrote:

If I had ANY failed faxes I would here about it. Iaxmodem creates a log of its
own, so when I get a connection that fails hylafax sends the failure to me. One
of the things that I found is you need to add nojitterbuffer to the iaxmodem
config file,

Really?  I'll have to do some testing, I've never tried since I've read
you can't.

Doug