I've been following this thread and trying to sort out what is wanted, what is
available, and why.  Comments to the following would be appreciated and might
be useful to others.

1.  Why would anyone originate a FAX via VoIP?  If it has to go through a bunch
of translation steps at both ends, it would seem better to simply scan the
document (assuming it isn't in electronic form to begin with) and attach it to
an E-Mail.

2.  Why would anyone terminate a FAX call coming through Asterisk in a FAX
machine?  Isn't there a way to capture it electronically?  If so, it seems that
putting the electronic documents in a queue where people can open them, save
them, and if they wish, print them would be much more useful (and planet
friendly, since a lot aren't worth putting on paper).

IMHO, there are only three realistic needs:

A.  Electronic end to end document transfer which is best done with E-Mail and
not telephony.

B.  Receipt of FAX from outside (old school) sources, which is best done
electronically.

C. Generation of FAX to outside (old school) destination, which could be done
either electronically or in the traditional manner.

If end to end FAX is desired, is there any reason why Asterisk should treat it
any differently than any other call?  The FAX machines on each end generate and
decode the information, VoIP is simply an audio channel through which is passes.

I don't know what T38 defines or implies, but if it is anything other than how
to electronically decode a voice call that happens to contain FAX information
(rather than passing it on to a real FAX machine) then I'm not sure what use it
is.  It would seem to me that the OP needs a way to electronically capture
calls that turn out to be FAXes.

Wilton