Hello Bruce,

Sorry for the delay. I don't really have time to follow this list much.

In your original setup, you did use a sort of SIP Proxy (the central Asterisk
feeding the others) depending on your definition. A SIP Proxy would probably
solve your issue, but as I stated in my previous mail, you should not need one.
Fixing (or exchanging) Pfsense should also solve your issue and then you'll
have one less device that can bring your system down. Fixing Pfsense will
probably require you to troubleshoot the issue some more to see exactly what
happens, so you know what you need to fix. Compare the SIP traffic between your
Asterisks and Pfsense to the traffic between Pfsense and your provider. Capture
the traffic in .pcap format with ngrep, tcpdump, wireshark or other packet
dumping tools, then analyze it in wireshark. To capture traffic outside
Pfsense, you'll probably need to mirror a switch port, install a hub or ask
your provider to send you a dump. This will require some understanding of the
SIP message format and TCP/IP, but it should not be very complicated.

I'm quite sure Pfsense changes the contents of the SIP message itself in ways
it should not do possibly in addition to changing the IP packets in ways it
should not do. It may also possibly block incoming traffic it should not block.

If you decide to use a SIP proxy, then going back to your original design
(using Asterisk as a proxy) would probably be the easiest for you.
Of the alternatives you've listed, I only have experience with Kamailio. In
simple setups, its default configuration will not need to be altered much to
get it working. Its logic is VERY different to Asterisk, though. I know that
Kamailio would be a very good choice for this role. I believe the alternatives
would be as well.

With kind regards,
Pan B. Christensen
Senior technician