On 01/26/2011 01:12 PM, Tom Rymes wrote:
On 01/26/2011 1:49 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

<snip>

Steve did not write res_fax (which where SendFAX and ReceiveFAX come
from)

<snip>

I am personally a little confused here, because I have a ReceiveFAX
application when I unload the res_fax module and res_fax_digium module
and load the app_fax module. In other words, I think that multiple
modules provide applications named ReceiveFax and SendFAX.

Am I correct to infer that using app_fax.so is no longer recommended and
that res_fax.so with res_fax_spandsp.so -OR- res_fax_digium.so is now
the way to go?

That is correct. app_fax is deprecated (and that is why it is marked as "don't build" by default), and res_fax plus a technology module (res_fax_spandsp or res_fax_digium) is the replacement for it. All of the work that the Digium team has done improving T.38 negotiation and interoperability has gone into res_fax, not app_fax. Users of Asterisk 1.8.x should only choose to build app_fax if they have a specific need for it (and if that's the case we'd like to know what the need is so we can ensure that res_fax can satisfy it). Users of older Asterisk releases will have app_fax by default (since res_fax was not included in those versions), but if they want to use Digium's res_fax_digium module they can download it along with res_fax and use them instead.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kflem...@digium.com