On 6/7/11 7:40 PM, Steve Edwards wrote:

Hi!

Agree on the IAX. Had never used it, I was a SIP-Only one man band. Not got a VPS in a different location and configured IAX between them. Cool thing is it has encryption built-in, in case you don't have both of the machine locally.

As a really ugly fail-over setup I just made a new context in my extentions.conf for iax-in where I also have all my extentions (like all 6! :-). In the sip context in the dialplan I added an entry to dial extention@other_iax node in case of failure.

So now I get trunked calls in on one of both boxes (you can setup an SRV to configure the standby machine) and I'll try the ext locally. If that one fails (not registered) it'll send the call over the IAX trunk to the other machine. Fails there: voicemail.

Basically there's no end to what you can do this way, like have some trunk operators connected to the machine that's closest by and deliver the calls there yourself over IAX. IAX can have monitoring and encryption, pretty nice stats too. If you managed to setup SIP, IAX is easy. I only used Google basically. Just don't forget the two contexts to prevent loops. And in my ugly work-around you'll have two places to check voicemail, if you would use that.

/Robin

For my needs (1 man band), I just use IAX. SIP will also do the trick,
it's just a little bit more complex to set up but should be well within
your skill set if you already have SIP configured for [in/out]bound on
your first box.

After you've configured iax.conf correctly, all you need is something like:

exten = *,n,dial(iax2/user:pass@second/exten-in-second-dialplan)

In the 'first' box's dialplan.