On 11/29/2011 12:48 PM, C F wrote:
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Tom Browning<ttbrown...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+aster...@drogon.net>  wrote:
Linux has excellent built-in subsystems to control firewalling and so on
without resorting to external programs. It's called iptables. If you know
how to use them, then using an external resource such as fail2ban is
unneccessary.
That's like saying you don't need FreePBX because you have this thing
called Asterisk.
Very well put.

--
This may well turn out to just be troll fodder but I can not resist.
I disagree with the above being very well put, personally I think it is the opposite of well put. Maybe I am misunderstanding the gist of the comment but, I do not NEED FreePBX, I have Asterisk makes perfect sense to me. I have been using asterisk for a few years now and have not yet found anything that I need to do with Asterisk that I must have FreePBX to accomplish. Could I do the same things with FreePBX on top of Asterisk, maybe. I am not an expert in iptables but I have been semi successful in adapting what others have done to fit my needs. I have found this to work better FOR ME than Fail2ban. I have used and will continue to use Fail2ban for other purposes because I am not an iptables expert. In my opinion one should find the tools that work best for you in your situation and use them. You may well change your mind in the future but that is the beauty of this industry, it changes all the time, what I feel works best today may well not be what I think works best tomorrow as new tools are developed and proven and also as I become more experianced with the old tried and true tools.