We have a customer who has asked us to change this behavior, but I haven't
been able to find a way to do it.  Server is Asterisk 1.6 and the phones
are SPA 303 and 504.

Receptionist gets an outside call, starts an attended transfer
The office person being called answers by pressing the speaker button
Declines to take the call
Receptionist goes back to the original outside call by pressing the line
button
The office phone goes to hold instead of hanging up

If the receptionist hangs presses the hookswitch instead of the line
button, then it does hang up the call to the internal office phone, however
that phone then goes into reorder tone.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve