Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:46:39 -0400
From: Mike<ispbuil...@gmail.com>
        <asterisk-users@lists.digium.com>
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] IOPS required by Asterisk for Call
        Recording

On 14-01-24 11:16 AM, Amit wrote:

If I assume that Asterisk will write data on disk every second for
each call, I will need disk array to support minimum of 500 IOPS.
Where as if Asterisk push data every 2 seconds, I can deal with array
supporting 250 IOPS.
But if I assume that Asterisk will write data on disk for every RTP
packet received, as and when received, I will need disk IO system with
approx 25000 IOPS assuming 20 ms RTP packet.

You're assuming that asterisk will perform an fsync() after each write.
If asterisk writes without an fsync after each write, then the OS will
schedule writes intelligently based on RAM/disk IO available rather than
scheduling each one as a separate write.

Looking at the code for ast_writestream() there doesn't appear to be an
fsync() type call after each write, but someone more familiar with the
internals of Asterisk would be better able to verify that.

-- Looking for (employment|contract) work in the Internet industry, preferably working remotely. Building / Supporting the net since 2400 baud was the hot thing. Ask for a resume! ispbuil...@gmail.com -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/attachments/20140124/590804b7/attachment-0001.html> ------------------------------ Message: 2 Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:34:17 +0000 From: A J Stiles <asterisk_l...@earthshod.co.uk> To: "Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion" <asterisk-users@lists.digium.com> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] IOPS required by Asterisk for Call Recording Message-ID: <201401241634.17311.asterisk_l...@earthshod.co.uk> Content-Type: Text/Plain; charset="iso-8859-6" On Friday 24 January 2014, Mike wrote:

[...]

If you are running on Linux, don't forget that Linux's default behaviour is to
cache all disk writes until the machine is rebooted or the RAM is needed for
something else, and service read operations from the cache.  In fact, it's
entirely possible for a temporary file to be written, read and deleted without
ever going anywhere near a molecule of oxide.

Solaris has the opposite default caching strategy -- it assumes the worst
about filesystem integrity, and write operations block until decaching and
verifying have finished.

-- AJS Answers come *after* questions.

*Thanks & Regards,*
Amit Patkar