Asterisk can set any Caller ID name and number you want with the CALLERID()
function.

Type 'core show function CALLERID()' on the Asterisk command line to get
the details.

Whether your trunk will convey the Caller ID you have set is another matter
- and entirely the choice of your outbound carrier.

On 26 August 2014 22:45, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got a call from an overseas call center telling me about the
> problems with the Windows machine I was using. They wanted to remote
> in and fix things for me ... (Ignore the fact I use a MacBook Pro or
> an ASUS laptop with Debian).
>
> What I found curious was the caller's name was Asterisk, and the
> caller's number was Asterisk@10 or or Astrk@10 similar. (I don't
> recall the exact number, but it was malformed and it had an '@' in
> it).
>
> I'd like to read a little more about spoofing calls with Asterisk. Can
> anyone provide a reference?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --

[image: Digium logo]
*David Duffett*
Digium, Inc. · Director, Worldwide Asterisk Community
6 Landscape Close, Weston on the Green · Bicester, Oxfordshire OX25 3SX · UK
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6119 · mobile: +44 7722 442236
twitter: dduffett · linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/davidduffett
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org
<http://www.asterisk.org/>