On 12/06/2018 08:43 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
On Thursday 06 December 2018 at 17:49:25, hw wrote:
How dynamic are changes made in the database?

If by "dynamic" you mean "quickly used" then the answer is "immediately".

There's a note in some configuration file saying that dynamic extensions
are deprecated and suggesting to use func_odbc instead.  This func_odbc
seems to be the most awkward way anyone could think of for this, though.

I use func_odbc in plenty of situations, but I'm not familiar with it being
recommended for managing queues.

Did I say anything about using it for queues?

Queues seem to be the only way to have several phones ring at once, or are there other ways?

Without seeing the "note in some configuration file" that you refer to, though,
I don't know what to say about this.

It says

"However, ; note that using dynamic realtime extensions is not recommended anymore as a ; best practice; instead, you should consider writing a static dialplan with
; proper data abstraction via a tool like func_odbc."

in extconfig.conf.

For example, if I want to have an extension 'foobar' and want to ring
different devices depending on some factors (like time of day, for
example), can I modify the entry in the database for the device to ring
from 'bar' to 'baz', and baz will ring instead of bar from thereon?

Yes.

And IIUC the extension would use something like
'Dial(SIP/ODBC_PICK_USER(...))' after defining a query for my
..._PICK_USER function in func_odbc.conf to return what to dial
depending on the argument(s) supplied?

No comment; I don't use this feature myself.

Which feature?

How do I make asterisk reload func_odbc.conf?  Or is that not needed?

Not needed.  The whole point of configs in database tables is that they take
effect immediately without having to tell Asterisk to reload anything.

good

We did start off just talking about getting queue_log into a database table,
though.

That's why I changed the subject. Now I started with CDR logging to the database because queue logging seems to be even more difficult, and it's not working because asterisk says "cdr_odbc.c:174 odbc_log: Unable to retrieve database handle. CDR failed." while I can connect to the datasource given in cdr_odbc.conf with isql just fine. I made another post about that, though.