On Wednesday 07 September 2022 at 15:21:59, Joshua C. Colp wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 11:17 AM Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > This is a follow-up to an email I posted earlier today to the list,

> There's nothing in the moderator queue that I can see.

Thanks, sent again, and immediately received back.

> > I see something very similar in the documentation about local channels at
> >
> > https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Using+Callfiles+and+Local+
> > Channels - there are examples of both devices-ecf0;1 and devices-ecf0;2
> > but no mention of what the final digit means.
> >
> > Can anyone enlighten me please?
>
> A single channel can't do two things at once (you can't have a channel
> talking to Alice while also executing the Voicemail dialplan application
> for example) - so Local channels solve this by having two independent
> channels that exchange things back and forth internally. The ;2 leg is the
> one that gets sent into the dialplan, while the ;1 leg is doing whatever
> dialed it decides to do with it. If you send audio to ;1 it then pops out
> of ;2, and vice versa.

Ah, splendid - thanks for the clarification.

So, coming back to my original difficulty, if I want to put this "thing" on
hold, should I do ChannelRedirect() on the ;1 or the ;2 part?  Maybe even
both??

I *believe* I have tried each (today my dialplan is processing ;2) and in both
cases, as soon as the channel is put on hold, the hangup handler is called and
the call ends.

I am perfectly successful in using ChannelRedirect() for putting calls on hold
when they are a SIP/ channel and not a Local/ one.

Regards,

Antony.

--
If you can't find an Open Source solution for it, then it isn't a real problem.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.