Are the phones and the server in the same subnet? You might making note of
the IPs and just simply try pinging everything with the uplink
disconnected. Also, if you are using domain names for registration, it is
possible a dns server must be reachable.

If you are using database for any of your call processing, an unreachable
dns server can also be the cause of trouble. For some reason, even if you
are using IP addressing, Mysql will try to resolve a connection and can
hang (there is a mysql parameter to not resolve addresses).