On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 10:55 -0600, Brian West wrote:
> > > Because people have this misconception that ODBC is slow.
[snip]
> I don't see how in the world it could go up in flames unless it was pure
> crap.  I had up to 5000 queries(selects) per second on a 1ghz box when I did
> my testing.  No MySQL code will EVER go into asterisk CVS that's the bottom
> line due to license issues.  That's part of the reason I wrote cdr_odbc.c to
> get around that stupid license issue.

I said it depends on the application. A few selects or inserts in an
Asterisk environment means nothing compared to the very complex DB
schematics and operations (triggers, views, inner/outer joins, snapshots
etc.) that very large carrier billing systems have. The amount of
complex queries, updates and inserts is staggering not even to mention
the datamining processes. ODBC is just not up to the task for *this
particular* application. Afaik Oracle and IBM (DB2) will not even
support ODBC on large carrier billing systems. It doesn't mean that ODBC
sucks or your app is useless. Far from that. It allows people to happily
use MySQL with Asterisk which is great. There is just no misconception.
ODBC is slow and unsustainable in certain applications.

Regards,
Patrick