There is no easy answer to your question. If you ask me, I prefer not to use any patches, except that I am forced to use bristuff because I have quadBRI ISDN cards. Bristuff patches Zaptel in order to enable using quadBRI and octoBRI cards, and also  adds some features to *. More info on www.junghanns.net.

Like you said, really valuable patches will make it to the CVS sooner or later, so I prefer to wait because it makes installation and maintenance easier.

I use Gentoo with 2.6 kernel. I am not sure whether you will get any benefits from upgrading, but I didn't have any problems with it (except that I had to migrate from devfs to udev, but that issue exists with 2.4 kernel too).

Paul Rodan wrote:

Ok,

I usually use the latest stable CVS, with no patches or modifications. If figured if there was a worthwhile patch, Mark would have already included it. However, there was that neat patch about being able to press a certain key and it’d begin recording in mid-stream, that was an awesome feature and I patched my latest features.c file with that patch. But I keep seeing mentions of other patches, specifically something about the MOH patch, the BRISTUFFED patch, and now I’m hearing about a “Super Parking Lot” patch? For now I’ve been using the mpg123 method, it tends to work for me, but if I can save CPU/RAM and other troubles by using another format, which one do I go with? What is BRISTUFFED? And if I’m right, the super parking lot patch allows for call parking based on context, a way to break it apart, instead of making it universal across the whole system (where can I find this patch)?

So I’m going to ask the question, if I were to install the latest CVS Stable tonight, which patches should I install on it before compiling? Also, I’m using Gentoo Linux, with the 2.4.26-r9 gentoo kernel. I’ve seen issues with people making Asterisk work perfectly with the 2.6 kernel so I’ve stayed clear of it, but I still see people fighting to make it work and such, I saw one post a while back about the benefits using Asterisk w/ the 2.6 kernel, can somebody please refresh my memory? What are the benefits of using Asterisk with the 2.6 kernel? I’m trying to get the most out of my system.

Any help in making tonights compile/upgrade go perfect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul