John Novack writes

Dare I suggest that a MUCH better job of documenting would go a long way towards eliminating the problems you mention?

Now I realize that programmers are much more interested in writing code than documentation, as well as moving on to the next hot feature than making sure the current set work well, but . . .

I have found the Asterisk handbook Version 2, to be kind, poor, and the Mahler book sold for a small fortune obsolete as well as lacking. Most of what is published in that book is a rehash of what is available on line free for the taking.

Hi John - same experience here. Actually there were a couple of good efforts in this direction which have now merged. There are two volumes up now and more on the way, see www.asteriskdocs.org. Join and help make it happen. I have suggested that another volume ought to be about interfacing to carriers, legacy switches and subscriber equipment, etc.