Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:

I'm sure this has been debated before, I'd like to get peoples input. I see
the hard drive as the single most likely point of failure on an * PBX. How
reasonable would it be to run the OS and config files from a CF card, mount
the /var/partition on a hard drive for the CDR recortds, logs and databases,
and do some kind of test on bootup that would turn off those features if the
hard drive was unavailable (failed)?

I am messing around with a firewall that mounts from a cf card, it got me
thinking about asterisk from a cf card, as there would be little chance of
failure.

This all assumes that CF cards are more reliable than hard drives (and power supplies).

Other than that, what have you done to ensure reliability. I am planning a
RAID1 hard drive install for my serious pbx customers, in my experience that
makes for a very reliable machine.

The best solution is a cluster setup, with multiple machines, and no single point of failure.

-SteveK