El Flynn wrote:
<snip>

This is the sort of thing that AGI is great for. When I was first starting with Asterisk I wrote an AGI script to ask the caller for their Zip Code, then connect to weather.com, download the current weather conditions for that zip code, massage the text, run it thru a text to speech system, then play the resulting audio file to the user.

You could also take the concept and connect it to a third-party VoiceXML provider like Nuance. You can host your VoiceXML script(s) in their sandbox environment and send a couple of calls over via SIP through FWD. Then you could make the Asterisk box look like a sophisticated speechrec-enabled system with a reasonably nice-sounding TTS engine to boot :)

Ahaha.. ahem.. i think i mean Voxeo instead of Nuance.. sorry, been a while since I did the vxml stuff..

flynn