Hmm. After rethinking I see `set_event_loop()` is required in your design.
But better to have `run(coro())` API, it could be implemented like

def run(coro):
    loop = asyncio.new_event_loop()
    loop.run_until_complete(coro)
    loop.close()

The implementation doesn't touch default loop but
`asyncio.get_event_loop()` call from `coro` returns a running loop instance.

--
Thanks,
Andrew Svetlov