Thanks, Dima and Andrew, for your suggestions.

Re: loop.slow_callback_duration, that's interesting. I didn't know
about that. However, it doesn't seem like that alone would work to
catch many operations that are normally fast, but strictly speaking
blocking. For example, it seems like simple disk I/O operations
wouldn't be caught even with slow_callback_duration set to a small
value. Dima suggests that such calls are okay. Is there a consensus on
that?

Dima's mock.patch_all_known_blocking_calls() is an interesting idea
and seems like it would work for the case I mentioned. Has anyone
started writing such a method (e.g. for certain standard lib modules)?

--Chris