Hi,

man iwconfig tells, "Link quality... depends totally on the driver and
hardware". I would like to know how to interpret the value for WPEA-127N driven
by ath9k - ideally to have a base value for estimation of "useable bandwidth"
(i.e. how much data could be sent and received per time).

Is this feasible?

Is parsing the output of "iwconfig" in intervals a good approach? Which polling
interval would be suited?
What would be a better way / correct way?

I tried "wpa_cli -p $path signal_poll", but it returns only "FAIL" (however,
commands work). Do I something wrong?

It would be good to estimate the order of magnitude (if there are 2 or 20
MBits) and having a value to compare several links. Surely this is a very
complex topic (Google found heaps of papers about), but I'm looking for a
starting point for a rough "guess", but hopefully still a bit reasonable.

Any pointers appreciated!

Regards
Steffen

Example iwconfig:
          Bit Rate=48 Mb/s   Tx-Power=17 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=40/70  Signal level=-70 dBm