Hi,

thanks a lot for your helpful mail. I made several tests and good
progress, thanks to you :)

* Holger Schurig [mailto:holgerschu...@gmail.com] wrote:
> Hi, I wouldn't use "iwconfig" and link quality.
>
> "iwconfig" is outdated and virtually unmaintained since years.

Ohh, good to know... it is mentioned by a lot of howtos, so I
completely missed that it could be deprecated.

> So this concept has been dropped, as far as I know.

ok, I see.

> If you get a fail, then maybe your distribution-provided
> wpa_supplicant is outdated and/or using the old WEXT interface
> as well. Find a way to use wpa_supplicant with -Dnl80211, and
> retry.

Indeed the WEXT interface was used (I guess it is default). I
tested with -Dnl80211 and found it working, exactly as you told,
thank you!

However, if we start wpa_supplicant this way, we drop support for
all chips not (yet) supported by nl80211 (which probably is the
reason why it is not default), right? Are this only a few
outdated devices?

Documentation (of iw) just briefly tells "It supports all new
drivers that have been added to the kernel recently." but does
not tell a date.

> Something that should work, even if you can't get
> wpa_supplicant with -dnl80211 to work, is to use "iw wlan0 link":

Yes, this works for me both with and without -Dnl80211, very well!
I tested a bit monitoring this ten times per second while
changing anntennas and so on and it looks very good and promising.

It also shows the BSSID, so provides all information we need.

So I think forgetting about wpa_cli but instead using iw actually
is the right way to go here?

Thanks so much for pointing me to the right direction,
and have a nice weekend,

Steffen