Hi,

2013/11/12 Kamran Nishat <kamran.nis...@gmail.com>:
> how can we set our APs into 5/10Mhz channel? If I do it using a debugfs
> entry in ath9k how can I communicate it to mac80211? can I ath9k and HW
> channel width without telling mac80211 and above layers?
> Please give us some hints at least

first of all, it should be noted, that there are two, khm, versions of
5/10 channels control: Simon's and OpenWRT. ath9k themself has 5/10
channels support for a long time.

Simon's patches had been merged to the wireless-next tree in the
middle of august 2013. This patches add ability to handle 5/10MHz
channels to mac80211/cfg80211/nl80211. But there are no support for
these options in user level utilities (I mean iw utility [1]). I am
not familar with this realization, by it seems that you should write
5/10 MHz handlers for iw by yourself.

OpenWRT developers act more simply: they add new entry to the debugfs,
named "chanbw" [2]. When you write to this file, ath9k driver
reconfigure WNIC chip to work with appropriate channel width, but
mac80211 and cfg80211 still think that they are work with 20MHz
channel.

So, you have two ways: update your wireless subsystem, write few
handlers for iw and you can control channel bandwidth in most common
manner or you could use OpenWRT with it's hackish realization.

1. http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw
2.
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/kernel/mac80211/patches/512-ath9k_channelbw_debugfs.patch?rev=38354

--