I would say this is not correct. In many ways the Dot is less expensive and has
much more functionality than the Echo because it may be paired to much better
sounding wired and bluetooth speaker systems. It offers the same 7 microphone
array and control over smart devices as the Echo. I enjoy my Dot and use it for
shopping, Audible Books, and many things. And many smart devices will  require
the Echo and or Dot for voice control.
One cool skill called recipe buddy will let you find recipes and cook step by
step hands free. Just say enable recipe buddy. Lastly multiple dots and echos
can work together in different rooms.

Sent from my Self-Driving Spaceship