On 28/1/05 3:08 AM, "Antone Roundy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, why limit this to feed/head, and not entry?  So that Atom feeds
> will be easily convertible to RSS 2.0?  Certainly there are ways to add
> images to entries in RSS 2.0, though not icons (as far as I'm aware),
> but I don't think that's a big deal.

RSS compatibility is one reason, as described in the rationale.

Another is that we're not talking a generic image here, we're talking about
some kind of special "badge" or branding image, which doesn't make sense for
entries. You can still add whatever images (and other resources) you want to

> Which brings me to PaceIconAndImage--the pace itself makes forbids
> putting one of the attributes of Link Constructs in the elements
> (@rel).  Another of them (@href) is not accurately descriptive of what
> it would be used for.  Another of them (@title) doesn't seem very
> useful for icon (unless for accessibility--do people more involved in
> accessibility issues think that's needed--that it's going to be used to
> say anything more than "xyz.com's icon"?)  Is it really appropriate to
> call this a Link Construct?

I used a Link construct to keep word count down. Otherwise we'd need to
define an extra four attributes which have exactly the same names as those
in Link Constructs, which seemed like unnecessary wordage. It would really
bloat the spec. Saying instead that it's a Link construct where one
attribute is meaningless is much easier to not only write, but also to read.

@rel - yeah, I wrestled with that myself too, but then remember that other
elements place additional constraints on Link constructs elsewhere (eg.
4.2.2). Also, @rel is a MAY, so it's not like it's totally breaking the
template.

@href - what ever do you mean here?

@title in <image> certainly might be used for @alt text, the same way it is
specced in RSS 2.0. That's why I left @title in.

@title in <icon> could be used for @alt text if the icon is displayed
someplace, or more likely simply ignored. The street will find a use for it,
or not.

e.