* Antone Roundy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-03-18 08:41-0700]

> On Friday, March 18, 2005, at 04:24  AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> >URIs and IRIs are the way we identify things
> >(on, in, to and for...) the Web. So "web" to me seems natural.
>
> I think the question is which of these is meant by "the web":
>
> a) HTML over HTTP(S), plus images and other things that get rendered in
> HTML documents
> b) everything with a URL, and the network those things are accessed over
> c) the internet

I encourage Atom to follow the WebArch REC, let's call it (d),
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#intro
[[
The World Wide Web (WWW, or simply Web) is an information space in which
the items of interest, referred to as resources, are identified by
global identifiers called Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI).
]]

> c) has entered common usage, at least among the general populous, but
> technically, a) or b) would be more accurate.  I've always thought of
> "the web" as a), but while a) is certainly the core of the web, I
> suppose it makes sense to think that "the web" encompasses other things
> that a) is able to connect you to.

Yes, I think that's the webarch line too. If HTTP went away, and we all
used ftp:, freenet: or gopher: systems, and wrote our docs in SVG
instead, it'd still be the Web. So (a) is the current core of the Web
only in very pragmatic, market-based terms.

You're also right that (c) is common usage. I've lately taken to asking
non-geeks about their use of "the Web". Often as not, they respond
with "what, you mean The Internet? yeah, I use that, ...".

Going with Webarch's (d), I think fits with using 'web' within the Atom
spec... it's neutral in ways that avoid debates that typically chew up
time on the URI mailing list.

Dan