Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:42:29 +0200, Robert Sayre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Real world example:

[snip example]

What do we have to say about this?

As far as I can see, the code is valid XHTML 1.0 Strict (and thus also both Transitional, Frameset and XHTML 1.1), so I'm not sure what point you're making, Robert. Sure, the code is far from pretty, but the validity of it is okay.

Thank you, Asbjørn: this is a delightful little problem. You see, XHTML validity is specified in terms of DTDs. Near as I can tell, that example and some of the XHTML examples in the spec are 'invalid' because the local names don't match the DTD, and there are stray xmlns declarations. If any of the current versions of XHTML allow that, we should probably point to that one, but I don't know if any of them do.

Here's an example of what I mean:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffranklinmint.fm%2F2005%2F04%2F13%2Fhmm.html>

What in the hay are we supposed to reference?

Robert Sayre