The problem I'm having is with LiveJournal. They have 6.8 million
registered users, with 2.7 million active. We're talking about a
robots.txt of hundreds of megabytes. I imagine other blog hosting sites
(Blogger, Xanga) have a similar problem.

Also, robots.txt can only handle noindex. What about nofollow? Is
nofollow needed? Is the summary/content recommendation sufficient to
handle noarchive and nosnippet?

Regards,
-Nikolas 'Atrus' Coukouma