Antone Roundy wrote:

On Tuesday, May 3, 2005, at 11:41 PM, fantasai wrote:

David Nesting wrote:

I expect that many of my implementations will utilize content negotiation
(using the same URL as an HTML representation, where needed), so I expect
that I'll have some links like:
<link rel="alternate" href="/" type="application/atom+xml">
<link rel="alternate" href="/" type="application/rss+xml">
Or even
<link rel="alternate" href="" type="application/atom+xml">
<link rel="alternate" href="" type="application/rss+xml">

That won't work, because content negotiation will continue to return the same thing it returned just now. You must somehow tell the server to return a specific other version of the current document, and you do that typically by sending a GET request with a different URL -- one that specifies a particular version of the resource.

See http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14

GET /path-to-the-feed HTTP/1.1
Accept: application/atom+xml

You don't have to change the URL--just list only the format you want in the Accept header. If the autodiscovery link was lying/mistaken and that format really isn't available at that URL, you should get a 406 (not acceptable) response.

Where does it say that including a 'type' attribute on a link forces the UA to send a restricted Accept header?

~fantasai